New Resident FAQ's

A. To obtain water and garbage collection services or when making a change from one address to another in the City of Van Meter, either visit City Hall at 310 Mill Street or call (515) 996-2644. An application form is available at the time service is requested. There is no deposit required. MidAmerican Energy provides natural gas and electric services – call 1-888-427-5632; CenturyLink provides local telephone service – call 1-800-244-111; and Mediacom provides cable service – call (515) 246-2205. Also call the post office at (515) 996-2458 to notify them of your move to Van Meter.

A. Contact the Van Meter Community School District at (515) 996-2221 or (515) 996-9960. Visit their website

A. The city contracts with Waste Connections Inc to provide collection service. Residential service is on Mondays, and this does includes curbside recycling every other Monday.

A. Utility bills may be paid in person at City Hall. There is a secured mail slot in the front door; or payments may be mailed to: City of VM, PO Box 160, Van Meter, IA 50261.

A. Check the link to “South Central Iowa Landfill” for a detailed summary of recycling services. Visit their website at

A. The city council meets the second Monday of each month in the Fellowship Hall at the United Methodist Church located at 100 S Hazel Street, Van Meter, IA 50261. The meeting starts at 7:00 p.m. On occasion the council schedules a special meeting. The public notice will be posted at least twenty-four hours prior to a meeting.

A. The agenda is posted at least twenty-four hours prior to a city council meeting. The agenda is posted at: city hall; library; and the post office lobby. Minutes are posted in the same locations within five days after a council meeting; and the minutes are published within ten days in the Dallas County News.

A. The City does not require the licensing of pets; however, by city code dogs must be on a leash at all times and a citation can be issued for any violations.

A. Yes, almost any remodeling or construction requires a building permit. The City of Van Meter contracts with Veenstra & Kimm to perform building inspections. An application may be made at city hall. See attachment under forms on this site to download an application.

A. Yes. Contact Iowa One-Call at 1-800-292-8989 at least 48 hours in advance. They will schedule to locate all the power lines, cables, water and sewer lines. This call is free to the public.

A. The city hall office is open from 8:00am – 5:00pm Monday – Thursday and from 8:00am – 1:00pm on Friday. Appointments are preferred. Please submit your appointment request to Please check the Library’s website for current hours (

A. Birth certificates, Death Certificates, Marriage Licenses, hunting and fishing licenses, Registration of vehicles, Property Tax Information – check the Dallas County website

A. Voter registration cards may be picked up at the city hall or the post office. Or you may call the Dallas County Auditor’s office at 515-993-4751 for details. All elections are held at The Veterans Reception Center at 910 Main Street.

A. Water leaks are the usual culprits that cause an increase in your water bill. A leaking faucet, running toilet or a water softener malfunction are the leading causes for an increase in water usage. To check water leaks in your toilet, add a few drops of food coloring to your tank during a period that the toilet will not be used. If the food coloring shows up in the bowl, you have a leak and you need some repairs. Even small leaks can be costly.